Jade District Tour
August 23rd, 3pm-6pm
Departing Location: Union Station (800 NW 6th Ave)
Cost: Sliding Scale $10-$20 (nobody turned away for lack of funds)
Tickets available at Eventbrite
Know Your City and Asian Pacific American Network of Oregon (APANO) present Jade District Tour, Saturday, August 23rd and Saturday August 30th.
Join us for a walking tour of East Portland’s Asian immigrant communities. The Jade District is home to primarily Chinese and Vietnamese business and residents, located in the blocks along SE 82nd Avenue to Division. As downtown Portland’s historic Chinatown supports fewer Asian businesses and families, the immigrant population in East Portland has more than doubled in the last two decades.
We will meet at Union Station in Old Town, the location of the historic Chinatown and will travel by MAX lightrail to sites in East Portland. The tour will meet with business owners and community stakeholders to hear a variety of perspectives on development and neighborhood revitalization. We’ll visit:
- Jade District office and talk with staff
- Peter Vuong, owner of HA & VL restaurant
- Wing Ming Herbs owner Ken Yu
- Portland Chinese Times owner Rosalie Hui
- Vong, owner of Thai Fresh, a small family-owned restaurant
- Portland Community College’s new SE center and visit with Dean Craig Kolins
- Fubonn Shopping Center and talk with owner Michael Liu about the largest Asian mall in the state
- We’ll end at the Night Market, an evening marketplace for the neighborhood to shop and socialize
On both days, this tour group will leave from Union Station at 3pm and finish by 6pm, with the option to remain in the Jade District to experience the Night Market. Space is limited to 40 people per tour and getting your ticket now is strongly encouraged. Tickets are available on a sliding scale of $10-20 with no one turned away for lack of funds. This program is made possible by a grant from Oregon Heritage Commission. Additional support provided by APANO.
ABOUT ASIAN PACIFIC AMERICAN NETWORK OF OREGON (APANO)
The Asian Pacific American Network of Oregon is a statewide, grassroots organization, uniting Asians and Pacific Islanders to achieve social justice. We use our collective strengths to advance equity through empowering, organizing and advocating with our communities. For more information, visit APANO online at apano.org.