Food Justice and the Civil Rights Movement

When: Monday, January 18th
Doors: 6:00 / Program: 6:30 – 8:15
Where: People’s Co-op (3029 SE 21st Ave)
$10 Suggested donation. Donations benefit the work of Know Your City and Groundwork Portland.

4024460457_0967d8ac91_oDuring the Civil Rights Movement, Martin Luther King Jr. worked with a huge coalition of leaders on a broad range of issues, including: voting rights, housing, and segregation. Their dreams of equality and justice for all people ties directly to the food crisis that impacts low income communities and people of color today.

Displacement and racism affects food justice in various ways, including “redlining” by banks and retail outlets, the outmigration of jobs, and food deserts. This lack of access to healthy food appears to be tied into the overall health of our nation as well—a 2010 report by the White House Task Force on Childhood Obesity found that children are on track to have a shorter lifespan than their parents for the first time in 200 years. Access to affordable, healthy food is central to our public health crisis, and this issue is clearly exacerbated by racism and class discrimination.

On Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Know Your City and People’s Food Co-op are hosting a community dialogue with speakers who organize for food justice and racial justice in our local community. Topics include gentrification, displacement, culturally responsive food gardens, and equity in local food policy.

Speakers include:

• Katrina Holland
    Deputy Director, Community Alliance of Tenants
  • Edward Hill
    Executive Director, Groundwork Portland
  •  Shannon Cogan
    Community Engagement Manager, Sisters of the Road
  • Shantae Johnson
    Nutrition Policy Specialist, Multnomah County Health Department
  • Nick Sauvie
    Executive Director, Rose CDC

Join us at People’s Co-op (3029 SE 21st Ave) on January 18th, 2016 from 6-8pm.
Suggested donation for attending is $10. Donations will go towards Know Your City and Groundwork Portland.

RSVP through this link – www.eventbrite.com/e/food-justice-and-the-civil-rights-movement-tickets-20291424196

About People’s Co-op: People’s Food Co-op is a passionate community working together for sustainability, progressive land and animal stewardship, human rights, and social and economic justice. We cultivate strong relationships with the food we eat and believe that these healthy connections fortify our local economy. People’s is celebrating its 45th anniversary this year and are committed to fight against racism and discrimination through our staff-led Social Justice and Equity working group.

flax oil
    Posted June 23, 2016 at 11:59 pm | Permalink

The Freedom Award | National Civil Rights Museum

Wes Pecore
    Posted March 5, 2017 at 3:12 am | Permalink

I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post…

baby food blender
    Posted March 6, 2017 at 4:17 am | Permalink

Hello there, just became alert to your blog through Google, and found that it’s truly informative. I’m gonna watch out for brussels. I’ll appreciate if you continue this in future. A lot of people will be benefited from your writing. Cheers!

home decoration ideas
    Posted March 6, 2017 at 8:50 am | Permalink

Some genuinely interesting info , well written and broadly speaking user friendly.

furniture removalists in Sydney, Smithfield
    Posted March 8, 2017 at 5:14 pm | Permalink

I like this web site very much so much fantastic info .

make money with google
    Posted March 8, 2017 at 9:43 pm | Permalink

I love your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you create this website yourself? Plz reply back as I’m looking to create my own blog and would like to know wheere u got this from. thanks

Best low cost car insurance
    Posted March 12, 2017 at 4:51 pm | Permalink

Heya i am for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really helpful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to provide one thing again and help others like you aided me.

Cheap homeowners insurance
    Posted March 14, 2017 at 3:01 pm | Permalink

Thank you for great feedback that plainly determined in obtaining emergent findings. The best possibility to receive quote that is free comparison tool that provides the cheapest deals for rental insurance coverage provided from top rated insurers from the United States.

law of attraction for weight loss
    Posted March 14, 2017 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

This design is incredible! You most certainly know how to keep a reader amused. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Wonderful job. I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it. Too cool!

apk games
    Posted March 14, 2017 at 6:25 pm | Permalink

Good info. Lucky me I reach on your website by accident, I bookmarked it.

biotechnology jobs
    Posted March 14, 2017 at 11:22 pm | Permalink

When I originally commented I clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added- checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment. Is there any way you can remove me from that service? Thanks!

IELTS
    Posted March 15, 2017 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

Woah! I’m really digging the template/theme of this website. It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s challenging to get that “perfect balance” between superb usability and visual appeal. I must say you’ve done a superb job with this. Also, the blog loads extremely fast for me on Chrome. Outstanding Blog!

women working from home
    Posted March 15, 2017 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

I like the helpful information you provide in your articles. I will bookmark your weblog and check again here regularly. I’m quite sure I will learn many new stuff right here! Good luck for the next!

houses for sale
    Posted March 16, 2017 at 12:20 am | Permalink

Greetings! Very helpful advice on this article! It is the little changes that make the biggest changes. Thanks a lot for sharing!

compare landlord insurance quotes
    Posted March 16, 2017 at 4:54 am | Permalink

I appreciate for nice overlook which frankly determined in obtaining undiscovered concepts and definitions. The better feature to obtain prices that is online compare process that provides the best deals on auto and homeowners insurance coverage against high ratings companies in US.

pbs rick steves season 9
    Posted March 16, 2017 at 3:03 pm | Permalink

It’s a pity you don’t have a donate button! I’d most certainly donate to this outstanding blog! I guess for now i’ll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account. I look forward to fresh updates and will talk about this site with my Facebook group. Chat soon!

female celebrities photo
    Posted March 16, 2017 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

You really make it appear so easy with your presentation but I find this matter to be really one thing which I feel I’d by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and very vast for me. I am taking a look forward for your next post, I will try to get the dangle of it!

embarrassing celebrity pictures
    Posted March 17, 2017 at 1:24 am | Permalink

I was wondering if you ever considered changing the layout of your blog? Its very well written; I love what youve got to say. But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could connect with it better. Youve got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2 pictures. Maybe you could space it out better?

beautiful bedrooms around the world
    Posted March 17, 2017 at 6:46 am | Permalink

I see something truly interesting about your blog so I saved to fav.

europe trip packages
    Posted March 17, 2017 at 11:54 am | Permalink

Well I definitely liked reading it. This subject procured by you is very constructive for proper planning.

travel photography lenses
    Posted March 17, 2017 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

You really make it seem so easy with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something that I think I would never understand. It seems too complicated and very broad for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the hang of it!

cluster crossfit
    Posted March 18, 2017 at 3:54 am | Permalink

I simply needed to appreciate you again. I’m not certain the things I could possibly have made to happen without the techniques shared by you directly on that concern. Entirely was the troublesome difficulty in my view, however , spending time with the expert tactic you solved the issue took me to weep with happiness. I will be happier for the advice as well as hope that you really know what a great job you are undertaking teaching others via your websites. I know that you haven’t encountered any of us.

hire a personal trainer in Pasadena CA
    Posted March 18, 2017 at 9:33 am | Permalink

Good write-up, I am normal visitor of one?¦s blog, maintain up the nice operate, and It is going to be a regular visitor for a lengthy time.

western mutual automobile insurance
    Posted March 18, 2017 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Thanks regarding nice review that frankly promote choosing unexplored findings. The most preferable feature to choose prices that is lower compare which gives the most wanted deals on home insurance provided from high agents from the United States.

home insurance quotes
    Posted March 19, 2017 at 2:33 am | Permalink

I appreciate for great information that frankly help on checking undiscovered provisitions. The best feature to make up quotes goes low rate comparison tool which provides the most wanted offers for homeowner insurance coverage provided from high western mutual company from the US.

buy reviews
    Posted March 19, 2017 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

Deference to website author, some good information .

Geico insurance quote
    Posted March 20, 2017 at 5:39 am | Permalink

I appreciate regarding good feedback which plainly benefit obtaining unknown concepts and definitions. The best feature to get rates goes free comparison tool that provides the best deals for auto and home insurance using zip code provided from high ratings agents located in United States.

farmers quotes
    Posted March 21, 2017 at 7:46 am | Permalink

Thank you for nice feedback that really designate getting emergent concepts and definitions. The better feature to get quotes that is online comparison tool which gives the cheapest deals on house insurance policies by zip code provided from high ratings agents in United States.

frappe coffee maker
    Posted March 22, 2017 at 3:24 am | Permalink

An interesting discussion is worth comment. I think that you should write more on this topic, it might not be a taboo subject but generally people are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

american family car insurance
    Posted March 23, 2017 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

I wish to say thank you regarding understandable information that really benefit choosing various provisitions. The better possibility to obtain rates that is free process which provides the cheapest offers on building insurance policies from top rated agents like American family located in US.

Affordable auto insurance
    Posted March 24, 2017 at 5:37 am | Permalink

Thanks for great review that directly support checking renewed findings. The best feature to apply quotes goes online process which gives the best offers for building insurance policies provided from high insurers like American family located in United States.

pay day loan
    Posted March 25, 2017 at 6:03 am | Permalink

Thank you for good info which plainly designate checking new concepts and definitions. The best possibility to get prices that is cheaper compare process that provides the best offers on renter fast payday provided from best agent like American family from the USA.

Education Center
    Posted March 26, 2017 at 11:21 am | Permalink

I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your site. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme? Excellent work!

railways jobs
    Posted March 26, 2017 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Wow! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It’s on a completely different subject but it has pretty much the same layout and design. Superb choice of colors!